Be sure to visit the Hand Tool Headlines section - scores of my favorite woodworking blogs in one place. Also, take note of Norse Woodsmith's latest feature, an Online Store, which contains only products I personally recommend. It is secure and safe, and is powered by Amazon.
In this chapter of the scratch built guitars saga I will continue the work on the necks... In the last chapter I slotted for the frets and installed fingerboard marker dots... Now I will round the back of the neck and put a 9-1/2" radius on the face of the fingerboard, and install the marker dots on the sides.
First up is to round off the back of these boards so that they actually start to resemble a neck..
The ongoing saga of the scratch built guitars continues... In the last chapter installed the caps that cover the truss rods. In this chapter, I'll cut the slots for the fretwire, and make/install the fingerboard dots
Had I only been doing a single neck, I might have just went ahead and marked the fingerboard out for the fret slots and cut them. But since I am doing three, some sort of template seemed in order.
I did buy Stew-Mac's fret slotting miter box for the job, but I didn't want to spring the $40 dollars for their fret scale template. I was past the point of available cash, so - I decided I would make my own. The miter box has a small indexing pin in it these templates use, so I figured to use it as well, by cutting slots for it in a bar of aluminum.
With the truss rods in place, it's time to insert walnut caps in the slots and holes created for the them. Walnut is a great choice for many reasons, but mostly because it's easy to work and it's color nicely contrasts that of the maple.
The neck is shaped, but I didn't get to thinning the headstock - I guess I should have included it in the last entry - but it was getting a bit long, I thought. Well, this one is longer, and now I have to put it here, just before the truss rods. I need to, as I will need to drill into it there...
To thin down the headstock, first it's a trip through the bandsaw to remove the majority of the waste:
Once each was thinned, I made a quick and dirty thicknessing jig for the router: