Restoring a Lost Cause - Part 3
I finished the handle with a some amber shellac, the color of which (along with the witch's brew of stain) helps hide the differences between the woods.
Well - the final fix shows, but at least it's not painfully obvious:
As a whole, the handle didn't come out too bad:
A closer look at the filled holes, shows some flaws:
A closer view - there are some pits in the fill, but not too bad:
Finally, a couple before and after shots:
It was a challenge, but then again that's what I did it for - and it was fun to see what I could do with it! But, I really didn't need another backsaw of this size, so I put the saw up for sale on ebay. Interestingly enough - the fellow that won the saw was the same that sent it to me in the first place! He reported to me the other day that he still has it, and that it's one of his "favorite" saws. That's reassuring for me, and I'm glad he's happy with it... and I hope he continues to be happy with it for many years to come.