Be sure to visit the Hand Tool Headlines section - scores of my favorite woodworking blogs in one place. Also, take note of Norse Woodsmith's latest feature, an Online Store, which contains only products I personally recommend. It is secure and safe, and is powered by Amazon.
The neck is shaped, but I didn't get to thinning the headstock - I guess I should have included it in the last entry - but it was getting a bit long, I thought. Well, this one is longer, and now I have to put it here, just before the truss rods. I need to, as I will need to drill into it there...
To thin down the headstock, first it's a trip through the bandsaw to remove the majority of the waste:
Once each was thinned, I made a quick and dirty thicknessing jig for the router:
Now that I have the outer limit routed, and while the glue on the maple cap on the tele is drying, I turn to routing out the cavities on the strat using a the top bearing pattern router bit set from StewMac, It's hard to find a better set than these, though I'm sure they exist - most have a longer cutting length, which can actually be a bit long in starting a cut - and the smaller bit is handy for getting in those narrow channels and is even harder to find elsewhere. I do have one, a 1/2" Freud bit with a 1" cutting length that was handy to have when the cavities started getting deep.
Now that I have the templates constructed, it's ime to get to work on the axes themselves. The strat-style guitar will get an alder 2 piece body painted a solid color. For the Tele-style guitar, I'm going to go another route and use up some stock I have on hand. the main body will be walnut, from a 6/4 board I've had for about 20 years, with a flamed maple cap. The flame maple is nothing spectacular in and of itself, but it should look nice enough with a sunburst finish applied to it.
Here you can see the maple cap after its sawn - there's a good deal of heartwood, but I've found that's not always such a bad thing. Finished change the color of wood so much, and I've also found that I like the challenge of working with the natural appearance of woods.
Of course, I'd rather have the AAAAA rated stuff.... but what the hey, I had this on hand.